Legal Online Casino Platforms in Canada
Canadians love online gambling. More players are joining in and discovering the thrill and excitement every day. But even so, many people in Canada are not 100% sure about the legality of online gambling in their country. We are, and we are about to show you some top, legal online casino platforms where you can play and wager to your heart's content.
You can put all your doubts regarding the legality of web-based gambling in Canada aside when you gamble on any one of the Kahnawake online casinos that we promote here on our website.
Best Legal Online Casinos in Canada
CAD $1500 + CAD $88 Free Play
375% up to CAD $1200 + 900 FS
100% up to CAD CAD $122
Low wagering casinos
Fast play casino
New online casino
The Growth of the Legal Casino Online Scenario
From 1892 to 1969, gambling was illegal in Canada apart from betting on horse races and lotteries raising support for charities. But, in 1969, things began to change.
- 1969 – The Federal Government of Canada allows the 10 Canadian provinces to lay on lotteries in their regions.
- 1985 – All control of gambling of gambling laws devolved on a regional basis.
- 1996 – The Kahnawake Gaming Commission (KGC) is established in the Mohawk Territory.
- 1999 – The KGC launched its Regulations Concerning Interactive Gaming, making it one of the world’s earliest founded gambling licensing agencies.
- 2012 – British Columbia launches the first fully legal online casino in Canada. Only residents of BC permitted to join.
It is also important to note that while the Federal Government made it illegal to operate a gaming platform within Canada, it did not outlaw Canadian citizens accessing offshore platforms.
Another thing that gamblers in Canada will be pleased to have confirmed, is that winnings from a legal online casino Canada platform are not taxable – as long as gambling is your sole profession. Gambling for fun is perfectly legal.
Regulations of Canadian Legal Casino Online Platforms
So how does Online Casino Canada legal status come about? Well, Canadian law states that it is illegal to run an internet gambling platform in Canada without having a license. However, the 1970 amended criminal code expressly allows individual provinces to license and regulate gambling within their regional boundaries.
The Kahnawake Gaming Commission Regulations for Legal Online Casinos
Within the province of Quebec lies the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake. As it is an Indian reservation, it has sovereign legal status. It gives it the jurisdictional right to issue a license to make an online casino legal in Canada in return for the platform owners opening a registered office within its territory and operating under their regulations. The Kahnawake Gaming Commission was born.
Given the potential of the virtual gambling scene in Canada, many top gaming brands already have or are seeking a KGC license. The regulations they must observe include:
- Supplying the required information regarding the company, its founders, and its shareholders.
- Opening a registered office in Kahnawake.
- Supplying necessary details about the rules, regulations and payouts of all games.
- Operating with top quality software.
- Being prepared to undergo an independent audit.
- Being able to guarantee big payouts.
- Having controls in place for problem and underage gamblers.
- Being able to guarantee player safety and security.
- Reveal information on banking methods and customer support.
All of the above regulations must be met if a platform is to join the ranks of the fifty-plus existing casino online legal brands in Canada, licensed and regulated by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission.
The Legal Canadian Online Casino Situation in Quebec
In the province of Quebec, but excepting the Kahnawake Mohawk Territory, gambling is regulated by Loto Quebec. They were launched originally as Loto Canada to raise money for the summer Olympics in Montreal in 1976. After being dissolved in 1979, Loto Quebec was launched. It now oversees lotteries, bingo games, keno, sports betting, and a number of land-based gambling establishments within the region.
They also oversee one legal online casino in Quebec, which, under federal law, local residents can access. As far as the outside Quebec casinos are concerned, all of those licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, and other offshore platforms, are online casino legal Quebec platforms that gamblers residing in the province can visit.
The Legal Canadian Online Casino Situation in Ontario
In Ontario, it is the Ontario Lotter & Gaming Corporation (OLG), an operational enterprise agency of the province, who have the responsibility to oversee gambling. The organization is owned by the Government of Ontario, and it reports to the Minister of Finance via its Board of Directors. It manages lotteries, keno, scratchcards, land-based gambling establishments, and sports betting.
OLG also offers a casino online legal platform for residents. With regard to accessing other internet-based casinos in Ontario, all KGC licensed platforms can be used, as can other offshore gambling sites.
The Legal Canadian Online Casino Situation in Toronto
As the capital city of Ontario, Toronto is a hub of gambling activity. If you search for online casinos in Toronto, you’ll be given many options. The same applies here as in any other city or province in Canada. KGC licensed online casinos Canada legal gambling platforms can be accessed lawfully in Toronto.
The Legal Casino Age in Canada
Finding online gambling platforms that Canadians can gamble on legally is not that difficult. The law is quite relaxed about licensed gambling establishments registered on Canadian soil, and offshore websites too. But the legal gambling age for Canadians is quite specific.
The online gambling real money legal age is 19 in all but 3 of the 10 provinces. These 3 are Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec.
Choosing a Safe Legal Online Casino in Canada
All gamblers, whether they are resident in Canada or elsewhere in the world, should know how to go about choosing a site where they can play legal online slots real money safely. Here are the key points for which to look out.
- A properly licensed platform – look for licensing from Curacao, the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, the Malta Gaming Commission, or the UK ambling Commission.
- Make sure the website has 128-Bit SSL encryption
- Ensure they offer well-known, reputable payment method options
- Check out reviews to establish that platforms offer top quality customer service, and there are no customer complaints.
- Choosing safe online casinos is quite easy providing that you follow this advice.
Best Legal Online Casinos for Canada Players
|888 Casino||UK, Gibraltar||GamCare, Gambleaware, eCOGRA|
|22 Bet Casino||Cyprus||None|
|Bao Casino||Curacao||GamCare, Gamblers Anonymous|
|Fun Casino||UK, Malta, Sweden||GamCare|
|Gaming Club Casino||Malta||Gambleaware, eCOGRA|
|Jackpot City casino||Malta||eCOGRA, Kahnawake|
|Lucky Nugget Casino||Malta||Gambleaware, eCOGRA, Kahnawake|
The Question of Is it Legal to Play Online Casino in Canada Answered
Having read through everything we have discussed, we hope you can now see that the answer to the question of is online gambling legal in Canada, is a resounding yes – if you follow the guidelines we have laid down.
- ⚡ Where were casinos legalized in Canada?
Land-based gambling establishments are legal anywhere in Canada as long as they are licensed. Internet-based platforms that are licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission are also legal. Canadian law does not forbid players from gambling on offshore platforms.
- ⚡ Are online gambling platforms legal in Canada?
Yes, as long as they are licensed under provincial law or carry a Kahnawake Gaming Commission license.
- ⚡ Do I have to pay tax on my winnings?
No. As long as you are not a professional gambler, any winnings are tax-free.
- ⚡ Must I Offer an ID to Play at Canadian Casinos?
It varies from house to house, but generally, the answer is yes, either at the registration stage or when you attempt to withdraw any winnings.